Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Final Project | ROOTY FONT


DESIGN BRIEF 04
MAJOR PROJECT
DART 331 | WORDS IN SPACE

Idea:



For this final project I was inspired by some experimental illustrations that I did created with ink and the use of a straw. So, I decided to continue this exploration using the same concept but instead of illustrations, creating my own font. I want to create my own set of letters applying all the knowledge and skills learned during this typographic and very useful exploration. I want to explore new fonts, letters and words just to acquire more experience in this area. I will be creating a set of letters (a to z) by the use of a template made by cardboard. On the cardboard will be designed just an outline of the letters, this is just to aloud me to have a same pattern between the letters. However, because I am starting to decide which is the best way to go to achieve my purpose, I will be doing more explorations and tests for better results. Having a template is good because how I said before my idea is to create these sets of letters by the use of ink.

The letters will be created with ink and a straw. I will put some of the ink on a piece of paper creating just the outline of the letter and then with the use of the straw I will start to blow very soft the form where the ink is placed.


Here is an example of how I will be proceeding.
Steps for creating the font:

Result from this process:

I started to create these letters without a pettern just by making a outline of the letter direct to the paper. However, while I was exploring the best way to create my font, I decided to print a set of letters such as helvetica or just as simple as an arial font to create a pattern on the paper and then tracing with the ink the letter form, and then blowing the letter with the straw.

It is better to have a pattern just to have same size and uniformity between them.

font using a pattern:



This are the complete set of characters created by ink.



With this video will tell you part of the process of "Rooty Font"





This are my new fonts!!! I thought that they have a very interesting and strong forms that will be nice to show to everyone what this font looks like in big and small format. So I decided to write a word using rooty font and print then in big format. I decided to put each letter of the word "Against" in separated posters and then placing them together in a white wall like this:

Posters:






For showing the fonts in a small format I decided to print all the 68 uppercase and lowercase characters, numbers and some signs in a format of 2" x 8" and presented as samples of which letters you can use or as simple as for just appreciating the beauty of "Rooty Fonts"

Layout:





Was a nice experience creating a font by hand (ink) and then having to pass through photoshop, illustrator to have VERY NICE AND BEAUTIFUL FONT..................




No comments: